Aditya Vikram’s Labour of Love to release on June 26
Aditya Vikram Sengupta’s critically acclaimed debut film, Labour of Love Asha Jaoar Majhe, which premiered at the Venice International Film Festival and won FEDEORA Award for Best Film by a Debut Director and bagged two National Awards (Best Film by a Debut director and Best Sound Design), is slated for theatrical release in India on June 26.
The film featuring Ritwick Chakraborty and Basabdutta Chatterjee in the lead roles will be releasing in four metro cities – Kolkata, Mumbai, Delhi and Bengaluru.
The multi award-winning film has been showcased in over forty prestigious international film festivals and won ten international and two National awards.
Incorporating political undertones, the 31-year old NID graduate creates a stylistically beautiful film that depicts the challenges of sustaining love in a fast transitioning world via a simultaneous sensation of breathlessness and space.
“We have received several awards internationally, but nothing means more than what people back home think of the film. I am waiting to see how the Indian audience responds to the film”, says Aditya.
Labour of Love marks the debut of For Films, which will also be distributing the film.
Set in the crumbling environs of Calcutta, Labour of Love is a lyrical unfolding of two ordinary lives suspended in the duress of a spiraling recession. They are married to a cycle of work and domestic routine, and long stretches of waiting in the silence of an empty house. They share each other’s solitude in pursuit of a distant dream that visits them briefly every morning.
Major Awards at the Film Festivals
· National Film Awards – Indira Gandhi Award for Best Film by a Debut Director
· National Film Awards – Best Sound Designer
· FEDEORA Award for Best Film by a Debut Director – Venice International Film Festival
· Best Director – Marrakech International Film Festival
· Jury Special Mention – Abu Dhabi Film Festival
· Honorable Mention – BFI London Film Festival
· Best Film – New York Indian Film Festival
· Best Director – New York Indian Film Festival
· Best Screenplay – New York Indian Film Festival
· Grand Jury Honourable Mention – IFFLA (Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles)
· NETPAC Award for Best Asian Film – Bangalore International Film Festival
· Best Film – Jaipur International Film Festival
· Best Debut Film- European Critics Award