MAMI CELEBRATES THE FRENCH CONNECTION WITH RENDEZVOUS
France, the birthplace of cinema, has always been ahead of the curve when it comes to cinema. The Jio MAMI 19th Mumbai Film Festival with Star announced a selection of the best French cinema of this year as part of its Rendezvous with French Cinema section, which celebrates contemporary French filmmaking. Rendezvous features the hottest and the most scintillating titles that have garnered worldwide praise at festivals all over the world. The lineup includes Academy Award winning director Michel Hazanavicius’s Redoubtable, Claire Denis’ Bright Sunshine In, Laura Schroeder’ Barrage, Alain Gomis’s Félicité, Barbet Schroeder’s The Venerable W, Raoul Peck’s The Young Karl Marx and many more.
Featuring films set in the Democratic Republic of Congo (Félicité), Burma (The Venerable W) and Germany (The Young Karl Marx), this year’s Rendezvous lineup is testament to the fact that the language of cinema has truly transcended the geographical boundaries.
The festival is also honoured to have Alain Gomis, the director of Félicité (Winner of the Jury Grand Prix Award, Berlin Film Festival) who will present his film and also do a Q&A session post the screening of his film.
Here’s the list of the films that will be screened under the section:
- Félicité by Alain Gomis
- Beauty And The Dogs (Aala Kaf Ifrit) by Kaouther Ben Hania
- Barrage by Laura Schroeder
- Redoubtable (Le Redoubtable) by Michel Hazanavicius
- Lover For A Day (L’Amant D’Un Jour) by Philippe Garrel
- Sleeping Beauty by Ado Arietta
- The Young Karl Marx by Raoul Peck
- Bright Sunshine In by Claire Denis
- The Workshop by Laurent Cantet
- The Venerable W. by Barbet Schroeder