THE 35 BEST FILMS OF 2015
I have already made a list of the 30 BEST INDIES OF 2015, but I also wanted to put together a list of my favourite Summer Films, Hindi Films and ‘Good Films’ (Dramas/Comedies). Please note that this is a list of MY 35 Favourite Films of 2015 and if there are films missing from here, trust me, they’ve been left out on purpose (for eg. I didn’t feel too much for Piku or Spectre, etc). Anyway, here are my lists below:
THE 15 BEST HINDI FILMS
- TALVAR: Because Irrfan Khan and Neeraj Kabi and Gajraj Rao and Konkana Sen Sharma and Vishal Bharadwaj and Meghna Gulzar.
- DUM LAGAKE HAISHA: Because this could well be India’s first indie romcom by a big studio.
- MASAAN: Because it made me want to write: On Masaan.
- BABY: Because Neeraj Pandey is to thrillers what Raju Hirani is to feel good cinema. Here’s my piece on it: On Baby.
- DETECTIVE BYOMKESH BAKSHY!: Because Dibakar Banerjee is a star and this film got the short end of the stick. My piece on it: On Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!
- TAMASHA: Because Imtiaz Ali has the power to make you feel feelings that no other Indian director does.
- DIL DHADAKNE DO: Because Anil Kapoor!!
- TANU WEDS MANU RETURNS: Because two Kangana Ranaut is even better than one Kangana Ranaut.
- BOMBAY VELVET: Because it was a GOOD film and my thoughts on it are well documented: On Bombay Velvet.
- NH10: Because we haven’t managed to pull off a road thriller so well ever before and hats off to Anushka Sharma for debuting as a producer with this.
- TITLI: Because this was the most hard-hitting Indian film I’ve seen in ages.
- COURT: Because it captured class divide and ‘India’ of the towns and of the shanties like very few could have.
- PYAAR KA PUNCHNAMA: Because let’s admit it, even with its misogyny, it was freaking hilarious.
- ANGRY INDIAN GODESSES: Because in spite of the filmy ending, this is a Dil Chahta Hai for women.
- BAJRANGI BHAIJAAN: Because Salman Khan did a good film and I still can’t believe it.
THE 10 BEST SUMMER FILMS
- MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: ROGUE NATION: Because what a perfect, perfect screenplay and what a perfect, perfect Tom Cruise.
- MAD MAX: FURY ROAD: Because this was not really a Mad Max film and we know it – it was a Furiosa film and that’s why we love it.
- JURASSIC WORLD: Because this was a throwback to the good ol’ family blockbusters of the ‘90s and Chris Pratt is the ‘hero’ we’ve been waiting for.
- THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.: Because Guy Ritchie makes action films like no one makes action films and Guy Ritchie is my Tarantino.
- STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS: Because it was a great trip back in time but as an independent film it could have been so much more.
- SPY: Because who knew Jason Statham could be SO FREAKING FUNNY!
- AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON: Because it was Joss Whedon’s last superhero film (as we know it) but otherwise it could have been so much more.
- FURIOUS 7: Because they showed ALL THEIR ACTION PIECES in trailers and there was nothing left to watch in the film.
- PITCH PERFECT: Because Anna Kendrick is acc-awesome.
- THE INTERVIEW: Because it was hilarious and I don’t know why critics found it vile and unfunny – the James Franco-Kim Jong Un friendship scenes were ROFL!
THE 10 BEST DRAMAS/COMEDIES
- BIRDMAN: Because OH MY GOD, what a film.
- STEVE JOBS: Because the greatest writer of the 21st century, Aaron Sorkin, wrote a film about the greatest mind of the 21st century, Steve Jobs, and it was perfect.
- WHIPLASH: Because this movie *is* my tempo.
- CREED: Because THIS is how you do a reboot, and hell, Ryan Coogler, you are a master of the art of screenwriting and storytelling – what a perfect film this was.
- THE INTERN: Because who knew a Robert DeNiro-Anne Hathaway film could be the feel good film of the year and charm the socks off you?
- TRAINWRECK: Because Amy Schumer’s hilarious big screen writing-acting debut has redefined the raunchy female comedy.
- THE MARTIAN: Because this was Ridley Scott’s happiest film ever and if getting back Matt Damon is such a fun time, he should get in these situations more!
- INSIDE OUT: Because no Hollywood film gave you as many feel as this one.
- SICARIO: Because Dennis Villeneuve can do no wrong and looks like even Emily Blunt can’t.
- TOMORROWLAND: Because it was an original film that had the right intentions even if it failed a bit in putting them across.
– Nikhil Taneja
This blog was first published HERE.
Which movies are you most excited about? Leave your favourites in the comments on the blog.
Follow Nikhil Taneja on FB, Twitter: @tanejamainhoon
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this POV/BLOG are the personal opinions of the author. PANDOLIN is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this blog. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing on the POV/BLOG do not reflect the views of PANDOLIN and PANDOLIN does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.